For more information on Veteran-related events throughout the state of California, check out the CA Department of Veterans Affairs’ (CDVA) event calendar.
Community Scheduled Events
- Meet the Author, Dr. David Styles - June 15, 2013 at 1 p.m. at the California State Military Museum 1119 2nd Street, Sacramento, California 95814. Dr. David Styles is a published Aviation-Automotive historian with twenty-one books to his credit and over thirty international awards for his writing over thirty years. His first book, a 504-page automotive volume, As Old As The Industry – Riley (a Society of Automotive Historians Cugnot Award winner) and a Dalton Watson title still in print. His most recent book, Two Flights to Victory was published in the autumn of 2011 and the core story of The Tuskegee Airmen and Beyond is drawn from this narrative of the Tuskegee Airmen’s initiation into combat in the 12th Air Force, then the 15th Air Force, both commanded by Major General Jimmy Doolittle. Out of his series of lectures on the topic of Two Flights to Victory and the Doolittle Raid, David Styles first prepared a paper on the subject of the Tuskegee Airmen, then expanded it to become a lecture about The Tuskegee Airmen and Beyond for presentation in Black History Month.The success of those lectures encouraged him to go much deeper into the story of the African American struggle and this book is the result of those researches. In California, Dr. Styles has lectured to audiences on board the USS “Hornet”, as well as at the Haggin Museum in Stockton, Castle Air Museum at Atwater and the California State Military Museum in Sacramento. He has also lectured to the Royal Aeronautical Society in Great Britain. He served with the Royal Air Force and is a Vice-President of Naval Eight/208 Squadron Association. Dr. Styles is also Aviation Historian to the California State Military Museum. His other aviation writings include All the Eights – Eight Decades of Naval Eight/208, Doolittle Tales and Two Flights to Victory, as well as many published articles in such journals as Air Power History. Autographed copies available at the event. Price may vary.
- ACT (Amador, Calaveras and Tuolumne) Veterans Collaborative - June 20, 2013.VFW Post 2600, 156 E. Saint Charles, San Andreas, CA 95249. The Collaborative is an open forum promoting the exchange of information and resources for the care of our military, veterans and families. Interested service providers, veteran organizations and community programs that provide support for active duty military, veterans, wounded warriors and military families are encouraged to attend. The ACT Veterans Collaborative includes Amador, Calaveras and Tuolumne Counties. The meeting provided networking and an information program to facilitate our working together.
- VA Disability Claim Assistance for Women Veterans - July 18, 2013. Attention Women Veterans: If you need help to file for VA disability claim, check on your claim status, or increase your VA disability claim, you are welcome to attend the following community event. On July 18th, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., there will be VA disability claims assistance for women veterans. It will be held at the Women’s Health Clinic located at Sacramento VA Medical Center, 10535 Hospital Way, Mather CA 95655. For further information, please contact Rebecca Stallworth at the Women’s Health Program (916-366-5453) to schedule an appointment with the Veteran Service Officer at AMVET.
- Resource Workshop for Veterans - July 24, 2013. Resource Workshop for Veterans! Asher College, Sacramento campus, will have information about resources for veterans. Event is set for July 24th from 1 – 4 pm.
Registration is required to attend the workshop. If you are interested, please contact Rebecca Stallworth at 916-366-5453 to sign up.
Resource information provided includes: federal benefits for veterans, dependents and survivors (including Service Dog Program); VA Healthcare Eligibility and Enrollment Services; My HealtheVet Program and eBenefits programs; Women’s Health Programs; Suicide Prevention Services; Veterans Re-Integration Program Services; Social Security Benefits; Human Assistance Program Services for Veterans.
The following list are events of interest for SVV folks:
Regularly Scheduled Events
- Every Monday and Wednesday: Operation SAMADHI, a program that brings FREE yoga to Veterans, is now available in the area. Classes are FREE and on Mondays/Wednesdays @ 6 p.m. at the VFW Post on Stockton Blvd. Classes run for 75 minutes and mats are provided.
- Every Tuesday & Friday: MOVE! Weight Management Program. The ability to lose weight will not only extend a Veteran’s life but also improve his or her quality of life. Enroll in a 12 week group offered through the Sacramento VA Medical Center and start on the path to a healthier life. Time: 3:30pm – 5:00pm (Tuesday) & 9:30am – 11:00am (Friday). Sacramento VA Medical Center @ Mather (10535 Hospital Way).
- Every Tuesday: Chronic Conditions Group. Learn and practice skills to reduce disruptions in your daily life from conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, CHF or chronic pain. Six week workshop based on the Stanford Chronic Disease Self-Management Program.
- Time: 9:00am – 11:30am
- Where: Sacramento VA Medical Center, 1st Floor Conference Room
- When: Tuesdays (Starting June 11)
- Every 2nd Tuesday of the month: Regular meeting of the Veterans Community Support Network, Inc.(VCSN) @VFW Post#67, 2784 Stockton Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95817, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. FMI: CLICK HERE
- Every Wednesday: Weekly Farmers Market in front of the Sacramento VA Medical Center @ Mather (10535 Hospital Way), 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Every Wednesday: Chronic Pain Group. Learn skills and techniques to more effectively manage persistent pain. Four week workshop with presentations by a clinical pharmacist and health psychologist.
- Time: 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Where: Sacramento VA Medical Center, 1st Floor Conference Room
- When: Thursday (Starting June 6)
- Every 2nd Wednesday of the month: Regular meeting of the Veterans Democratic Club of Sacramento County (DemVets) @ Sierra 2 (2791 29th Street), 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. FMI: CLICK HERE
- Every Thursday: Funky Fun Dance Class. Learn cool dance steps listening to funky music. Simple and basic dance steps with a warm up and cool down period. Stay active, move and have fun!
- Time: 5:00pm – 6:00pm
- Where: Sacramento VA Medical Center Auditorium
- When: Thursdays (Starting July 11)