Memorial Day is upon us this weekend and, with it, comes a time of remembrance of those who have passed in service to our nation. Over time, Memorial Day has come to mean a lot of things and has, at times, been overshadowed by the prospect of an extra day off from work or a sale at the mall. It can be easy to become cynical to the dilution of Memorial Day’s meaning but to those of us who have served or have known someone who has served, the holiday’s intent remains clear.
Sacramento Valley Veterans (SVV) would like to encourage you and your families, buddies, and colleagues to take a moment this Memorial Day to remember those who have fallen in defense of the nation. At 3 p.m. on Monday, May 27th, observe a moment of silence to remember and honor those who have died in service of the United States.
On another note, this Memorial Day weekend marks the 3rd anniversary of the reactivation of SVV. In 2010, SVV restarted its mission to represent the area’s LGBT Veterans and Servicemembers. Then-SVV President Ty Redhouse interviewed at the KIA LGBT memorial plaque (Shown below) in Capitol Park to announce the group’s resurgence. Since then, SVV has gone on to become what it is today: Representing and serving the area’s LGBT Veterans and Servicemembers through advocacy, outreach, and camaraderie.
This weekend, there are several events taking place throughout the Sacramento Valley to commemorate Memorial Day. Here are just a few taken from the California Department of Veterans Affairs’ (CDVA) events calendar:
SUNDAY, 26 MAY 2013 | 14TH ANNUAL READING OF THE NAMES
Chapter 500 of the Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) holds an annual reading of names at the California Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Capitol Park. The reading starts in the morning (7:00 a.m.) and continues throughout the day until every name is read. If you’re interested in reading names, there are several 15-minute slots open. A ceremony will be held at 1:30 p.m. For more information on how you can take part in this amazing event, you can message at email@example.com or call (916) 481-6020. CLICK HERE FOR THE EVENT FLYER
MONDAY, 27 MAY 2013 | MEMORIAL DAY
REMINDER: All VA Outpatient Clinics (OPCs) will be closed to observe the holiday
- Memorial Day Ceremony @ Vacaville-Elmira Cemetery, 522 Elmira Road, Vacaville, CA – 11 a.m.
- El Dorado County Veterans Monument Memorial Day Ceremony @ El Dorado Veterans Monument, 360 Fair Lane, Placerville, CA – 11 a.m.
- Memorial Day Ceremony @ Sacramento Historic City Cemetery, 1000 Broadway, Sacramento, CA – 11 a.m.
- 3rd Annual Memorial Day Health Fair @ Willow Clinic at the CA State Military Museum, 1119 Second Street (2nd Floor), Sacramento, CA – 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Yolo County Veterans Coalition Memorial Day Ceremony @ Monument Hill Memorial Park, Woodland, CA – 2 p.m.
- Memorial Day Remembrance Event @ Roseville Community Cemetery, 421 Berry Street, Roseville, CA – 11 a.m.
- 9th Annual Buzz Oates No Excuses 5K @ William Land Park Village Green, Corner of Freeport Blvd. & Sutterville Rd. – 7 a.m.
- Wounded Veterans Run (3K/5K/10K) @ Folsom Parkway Trails, Corner of Blue Ravine Road & N. Parkway Drive, Folsom, CA – 9 a.m.
- 7th Memorial Day Program @ Sacramento VA Medical Center, 10535 Hospital Way, Mather, CA – 9:30 a.m.
- Memorial Day Event @ Northern CA Veterans Cemetery, 11800 Gas Point Road, Igo, CA – 5:55 p.m.